Sometime soon, the Charlestown Historical Society will be asking the community to help raise a building –
’s first historical museum. Charlestown
A little history about the CHS:
|Old Indian Schoolhouse|
1972 - Ernestine Swanson donated the District #2 Schoolhouse in Quonochontaug to the Society.
|1838 District #2 Schoolhouse|
1977 - CHS receives $5,000 from the Charlestown Bicentennial Committee for the purpose building a permanent museum to store and display the town’s historical items and archives. Unfortunately, for various reasons, this vision of a museum for
never became a reality. However, this original $5,000 has grown and is now “seed money” for the new museum. Charlestown
2010 - Thirty-four years after the initial vision of a museum for
, the Society was granted a generous 99-year lease on land adjacent to the schoolhouse. Planning and fundraising began in earnest. Charlestown
2011 - One year later, almost half of the total goal of $140,000 has been raised. At its recent meeting the CHS Board unanimously voted to begin construction with the goal of completing all exterior work this summer. Interior finishing will begin as soon as the additional funds are raised.
IT TAKES A COMMUNITY
Although the CHS has been diligently pursuing various grants from local foundations and large businesses, so far the $65,000 raised has been from individuals, small businesses and several local organizations that love
and want to preserve and display its history. Our community should take great pride in this generous support. Charlestown
TO RAISE A BUILDING
|Artist's Rendering of New Museum|