Summer is upon us and the weeks are busy. Here is my recommended lineup, starting tonight. I think I'll be attending five of these six myself.
- Tonight, Wednesday, from 7 to 9 pm, the Kettle Pond Visitor Center (50 Bend Road) is having a session on Controlling Rhode Island's Invasive Plants.
- Don't miss the movie Gasland at the Cross Mills Public Library, 4417 Old Post Road, on Friday at 7 pm. This film reveals the environmental impact of modern natural gas production methods. The showing is sponsored by the Charlestown Democratic Town Committee.
- This is "North of RT 138" but we're making an exception. The Celestial Cafe has been holding monthly Farm Dinners featuring local ingredients. This month's Farm Dinner will be Thursday through Sunday. You can see the menu here.
- On Saturday the Clark Memorial Library in Carolina is hosting a country garden tour from 10 am until 4 pm. The 12-home tour includes beautiful gardens in Charlestown such as that of Dr. Bruce Gouin of Arrowhead Dental. Dr. Gouin directed the landscape design during the recent expanion of Arrowhead Dental and the tour will visit the gardens at his home. You can get tickets at the Clark Memorial Library in Carolina (7 Pinehurst Drive).
- If gardens aren't your style there is another event at the same time - the Ninigret National Wildlife Refuge is holding a session on the history of land use in the Ninigret NWR. It promises to be an interesting walk that will raise awareness of our land. Meet at 10 am Saturday at the East Entrance to the NWR which is the parking area about a half-mile past Frosty Drew in Ninigret Park.
- On Sunday at 2 pm visit Ninigret Park for a short ceremony to re-dedicate the Little Nini Flag Pole. The long-needed restoration is the result of hard work by Cody Clarkin, age 12, and your attendance will help commend him for it. It's also a chance to see the new trees recently planted along the park road.