South Kingston has announced that their coastal areas will be evacuated.
Charlestown Emergency Management Agency (CEMA) has announced that people in the designated evacuation areas will be asked to leave by 5 pm on Saturday. More below.
Irene is now looking significant enough that both mandatory evacuation zones in Charlestown will be cleared on Saturday.
Here is an excerpt from our town evacuation map:
|click to enlarge|
People living on the green areas are asked to leave by noon on Saturday!
People living in the yellow areas are asked to leave by 5 pm on Saturday!
At the current time, I have been told that the evacuation is mandatory in the green area and voluntary in the yellow area.
The Red Cross has currently decided to not set up the schools (Charlestown Elementary or Chariho Middle School) as shelters. People wishing to use a public shelter are asked to go to the Westerly Senior Center, 39 State Street in Westerly (near the Westerly Hospital), after 4 pm on Saturday.
View Larger Map
The Charlestown Animal Shelter on Sand Hill Road, 364-1211, is prepared to hold pets until they reach capacity. The Westerly Animal Shelter, 33 Larry Hirsch Lane (just off of Route 91) 401-584-7941 is the overflow location for pets. Both locations require a record of vaccinations, food and, probably, a pet carrier to hold your pet.
Here is some additional evacuation advice from the Charlestown website:
- It is suggested that you leave a note on your refrigerator indicating your intended point of relocation and list a family or personal contact.
- If you are going to need special assistance to evacuate, please contact Police Dispatch at 364-1212 now so that provisions can be arranged to assist you at the appropriate time.
- Be certain to take with you a suitable means of ID upon evacuating your residence.
- Pets are not allowed in shelters. Accordingly, you should make arrangements to board pets with local Kennel or Veterinary Services.
- Following the storm passage, evacuated areas will be assessed for damage, flooding and safety precautions. CEMA will then determine what areas can be accessed and by whom. Residents wishing to return to homes in these areas must come to Town Hall, present suitable ID, and obtain a pass authorizing access. Contractors will also be required to obtain a pass at Town Hall.